Inside Wallington Hall
First off an image of the layout of the ground floor.
The entrance hall
The room took its present shape only in 1883, when Sir Charles Edward Trevelyan opened up the wall separating it
from the front door and lobby passage.
To the left of the cabinet on the facing wall hangs a portrait by Hoppner of Charles's aunt Maria, which was
painted at the time of her marriage in 1791 to Sir John Trevelyan, 5th Bt, whom Romney painted in the 1780's (
right of cabinet).
There are two Delft punchbowls in the display case celebrating the election victory of Sir Walter Blackett in
1741.His Newcastle seat cost him £7,000 !
The Dining Room
This is the first of the grand new rooms created by Sir Walter Blackett in the 1740's along the south side
of the house.He called in the Swiss-Italian stuccador Pietro Lafranchini to design the exuberant Rococo
plasterwork,which features the God of wine,Bacchus, in the panel beyond the screen of Corinthian columns.
The Central hall
Right in the middle of Wallington hall. Originally a courtyard open to the skies, but in 1853 the Newcastle
architect, John Dobson was commissioned to create a comfortable family meeting place by covering it with a glazed
roof and opening up the surrounding corridors. This is where the family took afternoon tea.
The decorative scheme is the work of William Bell Scott, a follower of the Pre-Raphaelits and the Director of
the local art school in Newcastle.
This is another picture of the interior of the central hall
Courtesy of victorian web
This room, at the centre of the south front, was the main entrance hall until the 1740's, when Sir Walter
Blackett transformed it into an elegant rococo saloon, with a deep cover ceiling decorated with more plasterwork by
The Trevelyans have been a bookish family since the time of Sir Walter Calverley Trevelyan, who fitted
this room out as library in 1853.
This room was used as a study by Charles Edward's son and grandso, George Otto and Charles Trevelyan, and
contains many mementoes of Macauley and the Trevelyan family including the desk at which George Otto wrote "the
history of the American revolution" ( 1899-1910).
Lady Trevelyan's Parlour
During the Georgian period this was the main bedroom in the house. George Otto's wife, Caroline, was the
first to use it as a sitting room in the 1880's.
The Writing room
Separating the family rooms from the staff quarters this was the estate office.
This picture is of Alexander Munro's sculpture of Dante's doomed lovers, Paolo and Francesca which is found in
the central hall.
The West Corridor
Contains portraits by the Victorian Trevelyans and roundels of Tennyson and Browning by Woolmer.
The Common Room
This was the Servant's Hall in Walter Blackett's time and the windows still retain the old, thicker
glazing bars from that period.
The North Corridor
George Otto's 3 sons spent many hours playing war games and their lead soldiers are on display here.The
figures are of Napoleons army.
In use until 1966 it is arranged to show how it would have looked in 1900.